It’s that time of year. Summer is rolling out her final glorious month while Labor Day looms large on the horizon. Before we know it we’ll be back to school, back to the office and Hello Work Week. Our color palettes are switching from watermelon pink and lemon yellow to burgundy, burnished gold and midnight blue, and our minds are turning to freshly sharpened pencils, crisp notebooks and office supplies. Back to school is the unofficial turning point of the year, gently pirouetting us from the lazy-hazy days of late summer toward the exciting bustle of fall. This is one of our favorite times of year at Elūm so we’ve made a list of our Seven Back-to-School Essentials.
1. Organize your work space with an adorable desk set. We designed an exclusive back to school collection for Anthropologie that includes all your office essentials. Whether it’s color-blocked file folders in swoon-worthy rose red and baby blue, a pistachio daily schedule, or a bounty of geometric paper clips our chic color-contrasting Ledger Collection will help you update and freshen your desk.
2. Let there be light. With nights drawing in we’re turning on our desk lamps earlier in the work day. Oprah’s favorite designer Nate Burkas says lighting, “should be like your favorite Instagram filter: Warm, flattering, and prepared to make you feel more confident than ever!” We couldn’t agree more which is why we love Brightech’s Circle Lamp. It’s form meets function personified, a radiant work of art that will illuminate you and your workspace like a personal spotlight.
3. Sharpen your pencil collection. Who doesn’t love a freshly sharpened brand new pencil? It’s an invitation to write, sketch and compose. Palomino’s Blackwing 602 is an icon. Hollywood Reporter calls it, “without question among the most fetishized writing instruments of all time.” Crafted from incense cedar, lacquer-coated and containing the world’s finest Japanese graphite, we can’t get enough of these sexy little black numbers. Legend has it that Steinbeck wrote the Grapes of Wrath and John Williams composed the theme to Star Wars with Blackwing 602s. We can’t think of a more inspiring pencil to have on hand when inspiration strikes.
4. Prettify your paper supplies. Where would our Blackwing be without a fresh sheet of paper? Malcolm Gladwell says, “The visionary starts with a clean sheet of paper, and re-imagines the world.” Reimagine your world with our exclusive Moderne Desk Collection for Papyrus. Using a dreamy palette of blush, celadon, gold and midnight blue, we have designed and curated a luxe Art Deco-inspired collection of notepads, sketchpads, planners and stickies. We’ve even included a decadently feminine clipboard just in case you need to take your questions and paperwork outside the office.
5. Fanny packs have undergone a makeover and emerged as the “It Bag” of the season. Adorable and practical, belt bags can instantly update your wardrobe, turning a simple T-shirt and jeans into Parisienne street style chic. We love this Rebecca Minkoff bag in our favorite shade of vintage pink (it matches our Moderne Desk Collection) and this one by See by Chloe in glossy midnight blue.
6. Grab a good book. Back to school means back-to-busy: full work days, classes, study, after hours work and school events. Don’t forget to take some “Me Time” every day. Grab a chai latte and a good book and treat yourself to an instant break. You’ll function better because of it. We love indie legend Parker Posey’s You’re on an Airplane: A Self-Mythologizing Memoir for its fly on-the-wall insider take on the movie industry and Ms Parker’s smart and funny prose. And we can’t wait to read The Court Dancer by Kyung-Sook Shin which tells the story of an orphan whose talent for dancing takes her from the Korean Josean court where she dances for the Emperor to Belle Epoque Paris. That’s one historical journey we’re dying to take.
7. Make a list, check it twice. Back to school means multi-tasking and multi-scheduling. Keep on top of everything with our Luna Collection. Gold-foil stamped on our letterpress machines dating back from the 1950s, in colors of burgundy, deep blue and barely blush, our Luna notecards, journals, schedules and tasseled pencil pouch turn making lists into an art form. Transform your daily tasks into treasured rituals by using our beautiful and luxurious hand-finished collection. The Lunas also make the perfect gift, and in this hectic back to school season that’s one less “To Do” on your list.